[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Internet cafe

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 00:24:27 UTC 2016

Replying in part to Dominic's comment: Internet cafes are fairly rare here
in Thailand because Internet is available in almost every public venue;
hotels, coffee shops, even bars. What we do see are gaming rooms, full of
internet-connected computers and teenagers. While Thailand is not quite a
first-world country, it is way ahead of the U.S. in terms of Internet
adoption, fiber connections to homes, etc. I have fast fiber service in my
rental home, TV with 40 cable-channels included, for about $20 USD per
month. In the U.S. I would need to pay 2 or 3 times that amount for low end
DSL and even now very few places offer fiber.

The terms discussed in the proposal, cybercafe and other variants that
imply food and beverage, don't work well for those places because they are
for gaming. One would not go there because it's a cafe; any food or drink
is offered purely as a convenience. I've never tagged any of these because
I'm not quite sure how to tag them.

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 5:55 AM, Dominic Coletti <dcoletti.dcair at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I feel like phone and fax are distinct to internet cafés, and should not
> be simply thrown out. Especially in developing countries where
> infrastructure is not as advanced.
>
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 5:52 PM Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 24/02/2016 4:33 AM, Johnparis wrote:
>>
>> A place whose principal role is providing communication services
>> (internet, telephone and/or fax).
>>

>> Telephone?
>> Fax?
>> Don't thing these are frequent?
>>
>> No mention of coffee/tea/cake?
>>
>> Nor a mention of additional services such as wifi, CD/DVD burning,
>> printing....
>>
>> Think there is a need to indicate how to tag such things that will
>> probably occur for some places.
>>
>> Other than the fee .. probably the most important thing about these
>> places is the download/upload speed. Some way of tagging that would be
>> good.
>>
>> Sorry to pollute the original idea ... but these thing help identify the
>> 'internet_cafe' from the 'cafe with internet'.
>>

>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Internet_cafe

> --
>
> *C/CMSgt Dominic Coletti, CAP*
> Whiskey Flight Sergeant, Raleigh-Wake Composite Squadron
> (H) 919-463-9554
> U.S. Air Force Auxiliary
> GoCivilAirPatrol.com <http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/>
> <https://www.facebook.com/pages/Civil-Air-Patrol/107647995924164>