[Tagging] highway = track vs. residential

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 23:43:14 UTC 2016

This is something we go round and round with in Thailand as well.
Highway=track is usually but not always a smaller, narrower way, either
paved or unpaved, that is used for agricultural or other purposes. It is
not a connector link between towns nor does it normally have residences
alongside of it. Still, you will see many cases where mappers have used
highway track to describe an unpaved road. The reason for this is probably
because they want to make such highways more obviously visible on a GPS
device.

I think you should feel free to change those cases you mentioned to
residential ways and use the appropriate surface, tracktype and access tags
as needed or desired. I agree with both you and Mateusz about driveway
tagging as well.
This
email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by Avast.
<#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 6:10 AM, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Jan 2016 15:15:00 -0700
> Mike Thompson <miketho16 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am editing in Colorado, US in a rural part of the state. I do have
> > first hand knowledge of the area. It looks like someone has gone
> > through and changed many ways tagged "highway = residential" to
> > "highway = track."  For example:
> >
> > https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/6152252#map=16/40.7825/-105.1985
> >
> > Although these are gravel surfaced roads (not yet tagged that way, but
> > physically that is what they are), the ones in question provide
> > access to two or more homes and/or ranches.  To me these are not
> > "tracks" but "residential." Before I change these back, I wanted to
> > check with the community.
> >
> > Also, I would like your opinion on driveways (if they are mapped at
> > all). My understanding is that they (at least the part between the
> > public road and the house) should be tagged highway=service,
> > service=driveway, access=private and not highway=track.
> >
> > Mike
>
> Yes, highway is for tagging function, surface etc tags for quality.
>
> Unpaved driveway is highway=service, service=driveway not highway=track
> (proper surface tag and similar may be used to tag quality).
>
> And high-quality asphalt logging road is highway=track.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand