[Tagging] Question reg. wheelchair mapping

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Fri Jan 8 11:01:42 UTC 2016

On Fri Jan 8 10:41:35 2016 GMT, Gerd Petermann wrote:

> Good points.
> We already have the tag ramp=* for ramps along highway=steps:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:ramp
> and it has a special
> ramp:wheelchair=yes
> but the typical steps are too steep for wheelchair ramps, so those are
> normally
> additional - longer and less steeper - ways.
>
> As I said before, most of those ways are not only for wheelchairs, also for
> strollers
What is a stroller?

> or delivery of goods.
> Maybe highway=service,service=ramp would be better than highway=footway?

They are also used by prams and pushchairs, mobility scooters  and I use them when I drag my wheeled suitcase to the station.

Actually seeing  manual wheelchairs outdoors is very rare, mobility scooters on the other hand are very common.

 The ramps are often textured so that visually handicapped people can tell that it is a crossing and if its controlled or not.

Phil (trigpoint)
--
Sent from my Jolla