[Tagging] Elevation and height on vertical features

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 11:35:28 UTC 2016

> Where do we go from here? Maybe we should encourage an explicit reference
> to the datum used, such as ele:wgs84=* or ele:osgb=*?

this is what some people are already doing (not so few, but few compared to
the total number of ele-tags):
http://taginfo.osm.org/search?q=ele%3A

> Or should we heuristically assume that no mappers will have translated
> elevations to wgs84 anyway, and change the wiki to make the definition
> into "national standards"?

-1

> According to wikipedia [1] the differences between the datums can be up
> to 100m.

that's the maximum, can you say something about the average/typical
difference?

This article suggests that the differences between the official European
systems is (in case of Belgium almost) neglectible (see the comparison
table):
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%B6he_%C3%BCber_dem_Meeresspiegel

I didn't find a simple statement about the differences between WGS84 and
DHHN92 (german system), but I found this talk in German that goes into the
very details of the argument (posting it in case someone is really
interested in details of the topic):
http://www.lv-bw.de/lvshop2/Produktinfo/wir-ueber-uns/links/vortraege/DVW_Artikel_Normalhoehen_in_BW.pdf

Cheers,
Martin