[Tagging] landuse=farmland and highway=track

Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 10 08:21:30 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I am currently (armchair) mapping rural areas in Japan, that means realigning nearly all

existing ways.

Whenever I am mapping landuse=farmland areas I wonder whether I should

1) draw one rather large polygon stretching across all highway=track ways

and small buildings which are likely used by the farmer and waterway=ditch ways or

2) draw small polygons so that none of these objects is "covered".

Obviously option 1) is easier and results in rather few landuse polygons while 2) is

much more work and results in many typically nearly rectangular shapes.

My current approach is this:

a) I prefer NOT to draw landuse polygons across a major highway or a track with tracktype=grade1.

b) When a building looks like a building=barn I prefer to think of it as part of the farmland .

(I am always unsure about greenhouses on farmland.)

c) I also think of ditches (not going along roads) as part of farmland, so I draw polygons across them.

My problem: When I start to draw these polygons I feel an urge to complete the work,

and that can be quite time consuming ;-)

Is there a tool for this ? Maybe a plugin for JOSM ?

Or maybe I should go more in direction of option 1)  first and let locals do the details ?

Gerd