[Tagging] landuse=farmland and highway=track

Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 10 09:55:28 UTC 2016

Dave Swarthout wrote
> Haha, welcome to the club. This is a problem everyone faces. Here in
> Thailand I spend a lot of time breaking up large wood multipolygons
> because
> in the early days folks did not take the time to do it right. Woods do not
> cover highways (unless its a farm track) nor do they cover water features
> like river valleys or reservoirs. I can tell you this, it's a lot of work
> either way you decide to do it but future mappers will thank you if you do
> it properly in the first place.

Oh, yes, I also have that problem with natural=wood polygons, often
containing
nearly 2000 nodes and typically completely wrong (according to the
ortorectified GSI images),
covering large parts of residential areas, farmland, water, and so on.
In my eyes landuse or natural polygons should never be that
complex, when I create one with more than 100 nodes I start
feeling uncomfortable.

Dave Swarthout wrote
> I have found the Fastdraw plugin to be helpful but only if you're wanting
> to follow outlines accurately. The tool takes a while to master and it
> creates many more nodes than would just a quick outline. Take for example
> an area I just "enhanced" - the wood polygon north of the junction of 1045
> and 1047 was originally comprised of about 12 nodes. After I traced the
> southern edge of the wood more closely, it now contains 966 nodes. Imagine
> how many nodes and how much time would be required to do all the wood
> multipolygons worldwide. It's off-putting to say the least.
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=%2017.7009941%2C%20100.6239762#map=15/17.6990/100.6190
>
> It looks better and is more accurate but takes up a lot more space on the
> server. And it took a few patient minutes to trace. YMMV

Will have a look at it, but it doesn't sound like a tool I would want to use
unless it can be configured to
use fewer nodes. Also not sure what is meant with "it looks better".
I think wood polygons have the same problem like water polygons, you have to
simplify,
else you'll end up with mapping each tree (or each branch if you like ... )

Gerd