[Tagging] Public buildings

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 15:52:44 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> Am 10.01.2016 um 08:58 schrieb johnw <johnw at mac.com>:
>
> I wish people would realize that leaving governmental stuff out in the cold to have pieces added to other tagging schemes bit by bit until it is acattered all over makes for a plainly inferior map, does not follow OSM practices with other complexes / types,  and creates mapper confusion and the creation of undocumented tags, especially in places with a lot of government offices and building complexes.

I generally agree with your observations, to make the map really useful in this field, we have to agree on some way to tag the details (btw. the same applies to hospitals (which do not cover every discipline but just one or a few), to university institutes and likely more). If we want to make meaningful searches which go beyond text search on the name (i.e. on structured information), we have to come up with a scheme.

Now, there are some differences in how governments are organized, ministries get frequently restructured for instance, but I believe these differences are not so huge that we cannot solve these issues. To avoid multiple tag values I guess we will have to make attributes similar to how we deal with payment details, i.e. we could tag with individual keys which kind of services are offered , e.g. administration:passport=yes (just an example to illustrate the idea, not the exact wording likely).

The reason why nobody has yet tackled this is (maybe), because it seems a lot of work, but we don't have to start with a perfect scheme, we can start with something partial and complement or refine it later.

cheers
Martin