[Tagging] landuse=farmland and highway=track

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Tue Jan 12 00:43:30 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 4:06 PM, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sometimes as I labor over doing these areas correctly I wonder if someday
> it will all be made obsolete. I don't know when or if it will happen but I
> have to think that some point in the future OSM will employ aerial imagery
> as does Google. Then, instead of a white, featureless background in areas
> no OSMer has "filled in" we'll see the earth's surface as it really is with
> our routable ways overlaid upon it.

David,
No doubt someone will do it for a routing and similar applications. The
other data we enter is valuable for other uses. For example, determine how
land a government sets aside for recreation.

Beside, sometimes a rendered map looks much better than an aerial image.
Take Epcot Center from Google's perspective,
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.3716206,-81.5502018,1346m/data=!3m1!1e3 and
compare it to OSM,
http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1228099#map=16/28.3703/-81.5488.
Personally I like the OSM rendering.