[Tagging] Please don't think name_1 tags are errors.

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Fri Jan 15 20:57:06 UTC 2016

On Friday 15 January 2016, Ralph Aytoun wrote:
> When I started a waterway=wadi was an accepted tag
> but within a period of three months it was deprecated by a group that
> did not really understand it's cartographic usage.

I don't want to hijack this thread but the above is not quite correct -
on the wiki the tag was indicated as having issues with verifiability
and discussion was opened regarding this more than a year earlier:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:waterway%3Dwadi&oldid=953081

But you indeed correctly identified the problem that mappers had a
highly variable understanding of what this tag means and its use was
very incoonsistent as a result.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/