[Tagging] Please don't think name_1 tags are errors.

Hakuch hakuch at posteo.de
Sun Jan 17 20:54:52 UTC 2016

Hi

On 15.01.2016 18:03, moltonel 3x Combo wrote:
> Changing the topic a little bit, I'd like to comment on alt_name vs
> name_1 va alt_name_1. To me name_1 and alt_name are exact synonyms, I
> don't see a semantic difference (as opposed to loc_name for example).
> Therefore, if you've only got two names to tag you can use either. But
> once you've got at least three you'll need to use either alt_name_N or
> name_N. I find the concept of alt_name_N silly and would rather use
> name_N, but I've seen some people disagree, For what it's worth,
> alt_name_N is much less frequent in the db than name_N, but Nominatim
> supports only alt_name_N. Any opinions on that issue (other than
> "remove all *_N" :p) ?
as I mentioned in my proposal about removing the alt_name_1 and name_1
from wiki: the alt_name_1 in nominatim was rolled out by a single data
importer who asked a Nominatim developer directly to implement it. So
there wasn't any process within the community structures.

for me the use of alt_name_1 is more logical than the name_1, because
alt_name is the meaning of name_1! So, if you have a second name and you
dont know where to put it (loc_name, old_name...) you can use alt_name.
And if you have a third name you SHOULD use alt_name:name2;name3 but in
a bad manor you can use alt_name_1=name2, alt_name_2=name3. But name_1
doesn't make any sense.