[Tagging] Tagging scrap yards, junkyards

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sat Jan 23 11:25:16 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 3:16 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com
> wrote:

>> After consulting Taginfo I've come up with these two tags for now:
>> landuse=industrial
>> industrial=scrap_yard
>>
>> Opinions, suggestions?
>>

> I'd prefer a "feature" tag, rather than a refinement of the landus
> attribute.
> What about man_made=scrap_yard?
>
> Not sure if it could also be considered a kind of works, e.g. we might see
> it as kind of a recycling plant?
> Shall we distinguish places which only do cars? We could also add a tag
> combination of
> shop=car_parts and
> second_hand=only ?  --> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:second_hand

This is how I view junkyards.  I consider scrapyards a different critter,
though, more in the recycling tagging schemes than anything, as that tends
to be where cars that were once in the junkyard go when the junkyards
decide it's cheaper use the space for a more complete unit than keep the
existing one on the lot.