[Tagging] wetland=bog, why only "receive their water and nutrients from rainfall"?

David Marchal penegal at live.fr
Sat Jan 23 20:33:07 UTC 2016

Hello, there.

I tagged some bogs today, and I wondered: why does the wiki restricts bogs to "depressions that receive their water and nutrients from rainfall"? AFAIK, bogs are not necessarily isolated from water streams or bodies. Wikipedia talls about sloping bogs where running water is intercepted in the soil by plants; at least one well-known example comes to my mind, the lac de Lispach, in France, which is crossed by a river and still hosts a bog, and I saw 2 more exeamples today on a hike in the French mountains Vosges. Shouldn't this restriction be lifted, as it does not seem to be justified?

Furthermore, how could rain bring nutrients? It only brings, at least directly, water, and can only bring nutrients indirectly, like with erosion or bringing leaves.

Awaiting your answers,

Regards.