[Tagging] Removing name_1 and alt_name_1 from Wiki

moltonel moltonel at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 21:37:09 UTC 2016

On 23 January 2016 15:14:22 GMT+00:00, "Lauri Kytömaa" <lkytomaa at gmail.com> wrote:
>I believe this is a good point to make, the origin for many of those
>tags.
>While the number of uses is reason to keep them as-is, if a major slice
>of them comes from an import, the ratio isn't a good reason to
>*recommend*
>entering more of them.

It's a pity that the us taginfo site is defunct; it would have given an interesting approximation of how many name_1 come from tiger. But I'm tired of this "most name_1 tags are from an import, they should be ignored" argument :
* coming from an import doesn't make name_1 wrong. It's a valid (IMHO superior) way of expressing multiple values.
* the most you can claim is that this import sometimes incorrectly assigned multiple values when there should be only one.
* there are plenty of uses of name_1 outside of tiger. While the ratio is unknown, a glance at the taginfo map shows that it isn't negligible.
* while popularity of a tag can on its own be enough to justify documenting the tag, it's never a good enough reason on it own to justify recomending it. Accordingly, the calls to recomend name_1 usage are not just b

>Browsing through this thread I didn't notice one point, the fact that
>with
>alt_name=a;b;.. all the names are/should be in the semicolon separated
>list, i.e. even without any processing that separates the parts/names
>into
>distinct records, searching would indicate that the searched-for name
>is
>within the list of alternative names (in most cases/some countries, not
>doing some sort of wildcard matching gives a bad user experience, esp.
>if the local word or abbreviation for "street" is always at the
>beginning).
>With name_1 and name_2 and name_9 you'd never know how many tags
>you have to look for when indexing the db dump and changes.
>
>Also, with name_[n] the original mapper and the next mappers have to
>order the names with reasoning or just how they like them (subjective),
>whereas with name=The Name + alt_name=other names the alternative
>names are then equal with each other (a collection of alternative
>names).
>What should be in the plain name tag is easier to agree on (especially
>if
>the operator behind the named entity can be asked), than it would be to
>agree on the sorting of the other known names.
>
>--
>alv

Vincent Dp