[Tagging] Art galleries/museums

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Jan 25 23:08:57 UTC 2016

Hi,

   the German word "Galerie" is often used for art showrooms where you
can actually buy the stuff on display. (I know a couple that are not
larger than a typical hairdresser's.) Hence I wouldn't be surprised if
many of the 415 tourism=gallery features in Germany were such
establishments. They're certainly not museums.

> I had a look at some
> famous galleries: the MoMA in New York, the Uffizi in Florence, the
> National Gallery of Art in Washington DC, the Van Gogh Museum in
> Amsterdam, the Musée d'Orsay in Paris, and the Guggenheim Museum in
> Bilbao. It turned out that all of them are tagged as tourism=museum.

I'd probably have hesitated to tag them as "galleries", fearing I'd be
responsible for OSM-reliant tourists requesting to know the sales price
of an item in the MoMA ;)

Bye
Frederik