[Tagging] Formalising shoulder tagging

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Jan 26 09:52:16 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 3:35 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> From my travels .. I'd say the most frequent (most miles) case is
> shoulder=no.
> Of course this could be made sensitive to the highway classification ..
> motorways usually have a shoulder, driveways don't.

I would still safely assume that shoulder=no is the default even on
motorways.  US highways and state freeways, even grandfathered older
interstates (LA and Orange County are somewhat notorious for this, as does
Pennsylvania in at least the Philadelphia and NYC areas) completely lack
shoulders (and even might fence you into the traffic lanes).  Oklahoma's
rural turnpikes often have have no left shoulders (often being a three foot
high grass berm sperating directions of travel, running all the way up to
the orange edge of roadway delineation marking to the point restriping
trucks sometimes paint the grass).  Two lane highways both in the state and
US system in most of the country tend to have little or no hard shoulder.

In terms of miles traveled by the public, yes, hard shoulders are somewhat
common.  In terms of mappable miles of highway?  Exceptionally rare.