[Tagging] Formalising shoulder tagging

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 10:12:13 UTC 2016

On 26/01/2016 8:59 PM, Gerd Petermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As a German I am not sure if I understand what shoulder means.
> In Germany we have a traffic_sign "Seitenstreifen nicht befahrbar"
> and one with a pictogram:
> http://images.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wolkdirekt.com%2Fimages%2F600%2F536052%2Fverkehrsschild-nach-stvo-typ-1-nr-388-seitenstreifen-f-mehrspurige-fahrzeuge-nicht-befahrbar.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wolkdirekt.com%2Fverkehrsschilder.html&h=600&w=600&tbnid=_olMoMJf-q2L2M%3A&docid=DQxsHaya53Mr-M&ei=10KnVt7BLsW6UaeYrIgL&tbm=isch&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=385&page=1&start=0&ndsp=49&ved=0ahUKEwieicOdm8fKAhVFXRQKHScMC7EQrQMIHjAA
>
> Dou you think that shoulder means what we call "Seitenstreifen" ?
auto translation of 'Seitenstreifen' = 'hard shoulder'

So .. yes .. but 'shoulder' would also include 'soft' as well as 'hard'.
So, for example, grass can be included.
There would be no sharp  'gutter' between the road and shoulder .. a
spoon drain (a shallow trench with smooth side) would be allowed - the
movement of a vehicle from the road to the shoulder should be easy and
safe.