[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - (Remove name_1 and alt_name_1 from wiki)

markus schnalke meillo at marmaro.de
Wed Jan 27 14:31:08 UTC 2016

Hoi.

To me it seems as if we suffer much from discussing too many aspects
at once, and that prevents us from finding solutions.

I see these separate problems:

1) Are multi-values necessary? -- I don't see general agreement on this.
   They might even be only necessary for a few explicit corner cases.
   This makes it a different situation, but currently it is not clear
   what the situation is, and so we're discussion with different
   assumptions.

2) OSM has no real/good technical approach for multi-values. Both
   existing variants to represent them (semicolons and number-suffixes)
   are bad. (Here we seem to agree.) If there is positive agreement on
   the question in (1), then a *real* solution for (2) should be found,
   instead of discussing which of the bad solutions is better.

3) The iD editor and some imports automatically create insensible (i.e.
   motivated by technical ease) multi-values. This is an issue unrelated
   to the former two. It should thus be solved independently.

4) How should the current use of name_1 & Co. be documented in the Wiki?

It might be constructive to discuss these aspects one by one.

meillo

P.S.
One might realize, that the vote only (or mostly) goes for aspect (4),
and that all the other three aspects are still open to be discussed.