[Tagging] Discussion about Multivalued Keys

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Jan 27 16:18:49 UTC 2016

Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> Take for example your example shop=supermarket,
> shop=bakery. Independent of the exact way of tagging,
> using a multivalued tagging scheme forces the renderer
> to make a decision between a supermarket and a bakery
> icon. Basically, there is no possible way for the renderer
> to support a multi-valued key here!

That's not at all true. A rendering chain can choose to split out multiple
values and then render a different icon for each one. You don't even need
any preprocessing - you can do it on-the-fly with a SQL query, and I've done
exactly that in one (Mapnik-based) map I've produced.

I realise _openstreetmap-carto_ doesn't do that, but osm-carto takes a very
conservative approach of not doing much additional processing to the data. I
can understand that approach, but that doesn't mean "there is no possible
way" for anyone else to do it.

Richard