[Tagging] Discussion about Multivalued Keys

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 21:54:14 UTC 2016

On 27/01/2016, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> One way, using a "subscript syntax" with a "data structure" construct
> using a "." as a separator":
> lane[1].destination=Paris
> lane[2].destination[1]=Rome
> lane[2].destination[2]=Milan
> lane[3].destination[1]=Berlin
> lane[3].destination[2]=Munich
>
> Alternatively, using a "suffix syntax", something like you suggest
> lane_1:destination=Paris
> lane_2:destination_1=Rome
> lane_2:destination_2=Milan
> etc.
>
> Thirdly, using the "seamark" construction:
> lane:1:destination:1=Paris
> lane:2:destination:1=Rome
> lane:2:destination:2=Milan
> etc.

Concerning foo_1 vs foo[1] vs foo:1, I this the last one can be safely
thrown to the idea bin (despite being used by seamarks) because ':'
clashes with namespacing, which is firmly established. foo[1] looks
better than foo_1 to my programer eyes, but is has no technical
advantage (?) and I suspect that most people will find foo_1 more
pleasing, it's also one less character to type, less annoying to parse
with a regexp, and much more established in taginfo.

Concerning using '.' as a separator instead of ':', I don; t see what
it brings us, beside familiarity to users of some programing languages
(but change language and sudenly ':' becomes more familiar).