[Tagging] Discussion about Multivalued Keys

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 09:51:04 UTC 2016

> You barely broach the subject of how MV and namespaces combine. For
> example if an object has multiple refs with sources, it should be
> clear wether an MV tag corresponds to "multiple sources for all the
> refs" or to "source for the 2nd ref". In suffix syntax, this could be
> distriinguished by "ref_1=x ref_2=y source_1:ref=a source_2:ref=b" vs
> "ref_1=x ref_2=y source:ref_1=a source:ref_2=b", even though this is
> becoming hairy.

I believe we should restructure the way we use metadata aside with data in
the particular tags source and maybe note and fixme (but not description).
We are trying to convince people to add source tags on the changesets, but
putting them on individual objects still has strong advocates, so we will
likely have to live with it. As an idea, the source information could
become a subtag of another tag, i.e. rather than being attached to an
object it would be attached to a tag (or to the position). This could also
become more refined with several, optional formalized source tags, e.g. for
the source date, a source link, a source license(?), etc.

cheers,
Martin