[Tagging] Marking climbing proposal as "in use"

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Thu Jan 28 23:19:29 UTC 2016

Richard wrote on 2016/01/28 16:36:
> Hi,
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Climbing
>
> was sitting around and evolving for 8 years. If there are no
> objections I would promote its status to "in use".

Well it is in use indeed, and the tag page has already further
developed than the proposal page above.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:sport%3Dclimbing
Taginfo=8449

The tag page says "in use" already, the proposal page could be
archived.

> Afaics it has never attracted significant controversy, does not
> trigger any technical difficulties, there is demand for it and
> is well used considering that it is a domain relevant only for
> a minor fraction of mappers.

A very important fraction, as they can survey from the summit! :-)

Mike Thompson wrote on 2016/01/28 17:49:
 > Climbing areas, including crags, are hierarchical in organization and suitable for representation as a relation

Interesting idea, might become tricky to realise. Next question,
does it help? Would it just be a collection, like 'all museums in Paris',
which I can express as a query already?

 > "climbing:bolted" should include "mixed"
 > Some routes have some bolts for protection, but also require placement of gear (cams, pitons).

That should be no problem and is better than the "average bolt distance in meters"
documented on the tag page (only used a few dozen times, should be a separate key)

 > Need tag to indicate if pitons are allowed (they damage the rock)

There was also "dry tooling" proposed 3 days ago on the climbing-tag talk page.

 > Need rating (difficulty) tag for aid climbing[5]

Should not be difficult:
Climbing styles
   climbing:aided=[yes|no]
   climbing:grade:aided:[min|max|mean]=*