[Tagging] steps parallel to escalator

Bjoern Hassler bjohas+mw at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 17:30:00 UTC 2016

Hello all,

A few questions about steps/escalators:

(1) Should an escalator always have "highway=steps"? I.e.
highway=steps
conveying=yes
(see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:conveying ).

(2) How would I tag steps that run in parallel to an escalator? Can this be
done with one way only? If so how? Or would I need two ways? In my opinion
it would be best to do it with one way, if they really are part of the same
construction.

There's a small amount of discussion here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:highway%3Dsteps

Could the outcome of the discussion be added to
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dsteps ?

(I've not been able to register for a wiki account - somehow there's a
captcha required, but no captcha visible. If somebody can tell me how to
register, I can add it.)

Thanks!
Bjoern