[Tagging] amenity=retirement_home and social facility

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sat Jul 2 16:03:49 UTC 2016

A commercial website is not the same as a dictionary.... Commercial
entities can have an interest in not using generic terminology, whereas
a dictionary is all about ensuring a common understanding. A "group
home" is, to me (UK English native speaker), a phrase consisting of two
words, and I can easily imagine what might be meant. It is not (again,
to my understanding) an accepted phrase that would deserve its own lemma
in an English dictionary or a translation dictionary. Hence I think it
does not belong in OSM, which ideally needs tagging to be understood
worldwide by people for whom English is an additional language.

The website says "RESIDENTIAL CARE HOMES, also known as SENIOR GROUP
HOMES,..." and I would suggest that the first term is more widely
understood than the second.

//colin