[Tagging] Additions to public_transport scheme

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 7 06:19:52 UTC 2016

We don't do it for street names... There is a High Street in every town
and we seem to survive...

You could use geolocation or your own geometry to find the place
enclosing (or nearest to) the stop

You could use the is_in tag to provide this information (not sure about
the status of this tag)

You could use "long_name" to provide a version of the name which
includes the discriminators

//colin

On 2016-07-07 08:04, Tijmen Stam wrote:

> On 07-07-16 01:28, John Willis wrote:

> 1. a "placename" (or "place") tag for stop_position, platform and stop_area. I notice that most public transport companies have a somewhat separate idea of a place name and a stop name.
> This sounds like the destination names on road signs, especially on motorways.  (interstate 5 north - Los Angeles), the "control city" in US highway lingo.

No, that's not at all what I mean!

It's the place the stop is _in_.

For example, a rural line going from Acity to Ecity via Btown, Cville
and Dhamlet might have the stops on the website as

Acity, City Hall
Acity, Industrial Park
Acity, Junction
Btown, Church
Cville, Church
Cville, Post Office
Cville, Industrial Park
Dhamlet, Junction
Ecity, Post Office
Ecity, City Hall

So if you are _in_ Btown, you'd only see "Church" on the bus stop
<ground truth>. But on the site you'd see a stop at "Industrial Park" at
both 8:04 and at 8:31, and without what I propose as "placename" you
wouldn't be able to discern between the two.

The place a certain stop goes _to_ (as you thought my proposal means)
can be deciphered by interpreting the various public_transport=route
relations that have the stop_position/platform as their member.