[Tagging] waterway=fairway?

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Sun Jul 17 17:29:42 UTC 2016

I'm seeing some ways tagged with waterway=fairway in the Netherlands.
Some examples:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/215071961
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/210382535
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/215071958

These examples have all been added in
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/15581966, there are more
examples in the changeset.

Taginfo:
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/?key=waterway&value=fairway

This user also added waterway=lake on unclosed ways.

Both waterway=fairway and waterway=lake are not described in the wiki. I
do get the idea of waterway=fairway. This user seems to have added this
in lakes to indicate the navigatable route. Since these lakes are
shallow, there are predeterminded routes marked by buoys. So it makes
sense.
The waterway=lake I don't get.

What is the thought on this. Is this something to keep or should these
routes be tagged as waterway=canal? These are not canals, so I do see
the added value of using a different tag. Is fairway an acceptable one?
Fairway does seem to be the english term for this feature.
Should this be up for for vote as a proposed feature of should we just
add it to the waterway wikipage?

Regards,
Maarten