[Tagging] waterway=fairway?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 10:49:07 UTC 2016

> On 18/07/2016 10:02, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>
>> in the more common natural, waterway, man_made etc. namespaces
>>

> Indeed we do encourage the usage of mainstream OSM tags for all natural &
> cultural/manmade objects. Where seamark tags are added to these objects, it
> should be only to indicate additional navigational information.

you do it for some features, but not for others. e.g. "landmarks",
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Seamarks/INT-1_Section_E
e.g.
seamark:type=landmark
seamark:landmark:category=tower

wouldn't this be better represented as man_made=tower, landmark=tower (or
yes)?

similarly, all the contained objects in landmark already have their
corresponding tagging (or should get it):
seamark:type=landmark
seamark:landmark:category=monument
(or seamark:landmark:category=column)
(or seamark:landmark:category=obelisk)
(or seamark:landmark:category=statue) Monument, column, pillar, obelisk,
statue

Also in this section, there is a draft which seems that someone wants to
add more information in the future (empty tables), where my suggestion
would be to either add a short sentence why there is no information, or
whether you plan to add more (or encourage people to add it) or to remove
these paragraphs (with currently no information, and where "normal" tags
are there or should be invented, like "public buildings", port
infrastructure, etc.):
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Seamarks/INT-1_Section_F

And a lot of features from here
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Seamarks/INT-1_Section_U
seamark:type=harbour
seamark:harbour:category=marina  (doesn't seem to add anything compared to
leisure=marina)

seamark:type=small_craft_facility
seamark:small_craft_facility:category=restaurant   (or is this for
restaurants that can only be accessed with small water craft and not e.g.
by pedestrians?)

seamark:type=small_craft_facility
seamark:small_craft_facility:category=telephone

cheers,
Martin