[Tagging] How to tag: public lands that are accessed by permit?

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Tue Jul 19 20:38:58 UTC 2016

> On Jul 19, 2016, at 1:17 PM, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> Your examples feel like private land to me. Except for the one with the bull...
>

> Maybe this would help me see the distinction:
>
> How much trouble are you in, if you enter without explicit permission? Are you (in theory at least) risking a fine? Would it be a criminal or statutory offence, or a civil wrong against the landowner? Or are there no sanctions? How likely are you to get caught? If a policeman challenges you for something, will they ask to see your permit?

It can vary with what part of the country you are in and who owns the land (federal, state, county, city, etc.). There are certainly places where you can get significant fines for not having a permit. There are others where the penalty is modest or non-existent. In my experience that often depends on if the permits are used for statistical and safety purposes (how many visitors, where someone reported missing might have gone) versus if there is a resource conservation reason (restricted number of permits to keep the usage low enough that the land is not too badly damaged). The likelihood of being caught depends greatly on the staffing, both paid and volunteer, available to the agency managing the land. I have been stopped on trails and asked to produce my permit, so I know it can happen.

And these are not considered private property: In most cases if an agency attempted to block all access (issue no permits) the public outcry would cause them to back down. It is public land, accessible to all, just not everyone at the same time so entrance permits are used to manage the flow.

A map for hiking is greatly enhanced by letting its users know, in advance of arriving at the trail head, that there are permits required. Even better if those permits can’t be self-issued at the trail head. The only way to let the end user know about this is to map it and to map it some sort of tagging must be used. Current accepted tagging is insufficient.