[Tagging] How to tag: public lands that are accessed by permit?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 23:24:48 UTC 2016

> The High Peaks Wilderness is a lot more like a public park than it is like
> your driveway. Should it be access=private because on the way in, you have
> to fill out a form and leave it in the letterbox at a place like this
> <https://fortysixupsanddowns.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/roaring-brook-trail-register.jpg>?
> Does that change fundamentally if you have to download a form like this
> <http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/regions_pdf/newaccessprmt.pdf> from a
> website, fill it out, print it, and have one copy on your car's dashboard
> and one in your person?

Actually, in these two cases (self issued permit), I wouldn't even use the
word "permit", its more a kind of notification system, because there's no
way someone would/could reject your application, right? Still I agree it
does make sense to add some tag(s) for this kind of procedure.

In the other case you wrote about, where the operator limits accessibility
to reduce the impact by visitors on the nature, the word "permit" seems to
fit better.

In all cases, I think it matters what you have to do / who you have to be
in order to comply with the formalities. Is it something everybody can do,
or does it require a special status (e.g. resident, citizenship) or
function (police man, ranger, military, public administration, homeland
security, fire department, etc.).

Cheers,
Martin