[Tagging] Tagging for palapa

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Sun Jul 24 20:22:55 UTC 2016

There are some structures on a beach I’d like to tag which I believe are called a palapa [1]. Not my photos, but there are images of others on the web, for instance [2] and [3].

I don’t see anything under ‘palapa' in the wiki. And while there are some things I see in taginfo that have “palapa” in their names, I don’t see anything with that as a tag or value. I’ve checked leisure, amenity and building in addition to a general search.

As found along a resort beach, I can imagine either amenity=palapa (as inspired by amenity=bench) or leisure=palapa (as inspired by leisure=picnic_table). But if, as mentioned in wikipedia, palapa are are actual buildings, then perhaps these things are something other than a palapa and I am searching under a totally wrong name/description. They look similar to umbrellas other than they are permanent and they are not designed to collapse. And all I see for umbrella seem to be associated with retail sales.

So, how should they be tagged?

Thanks!

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palapa_(Mexico)
[2] http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/14728/palapa.jpg