[Tagging] Subject: Feature Proposal - RFC - highway=social_path

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sun Jun 12 23:22:08 UTC 2016

John Willis <johnw at mac.com> writes:

>> On Jun 12, 2016, at 7:46 PM, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:
>>
>> make the official/important trails thicker than the minor ones
>
> +1
>
> Highway=trail

I don't think we need to change path to trail.  It's basically the same thing.

> Subkey:
> Trail=main (usually there is some backbone path that all trails branch out from in a large park.)
> Trail=official (officially designated trails in a park, where that matters)

I agree there should be some tag to show that a trail/path is the main
one.

I don't think official/not-official should be related to main/not.   I
would agree that main tends to be official, but it seems that the world
is complicated and if two things are separate we might was well keep
them separate.

> Trail=unofficial / social (shortcuts in a park or a city)

trail:official=no seems fine for any trail which is not sanctioned by
the authorities.  (I don't see why you say park or city; anyplace there
is a notion that some places are official then others can be not.)

> Trail=illegal (social cuts that exist but are specifically illegal
> because of posted signage to stay on official trails, or ones that are
> go into an area signed as "do not enter".

This feels like osm veering into judgement; that sounds like a simple
case of access=no.

> Most should be mapped, but
> perhaps not rendered - this would solve not only the different
> renderings ability to render more detail, but also remove them from
> the main map and keep people from "adding" them since they would be in
> the mapping data already. )

A separate argument, but various renders can do whatever.  I'd rather
see them and have them marked as no-access or extra thin.  I find it
useful to orient to what trail I'm on by the geometry of the side
trails.