[Tagging] Subject: Feature Proposal - RFC - highway=social_path

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Tue Jun 14 02:27:06 UTC 2016

> On Jun 13, 2016, at 6:39 PM, John Willis <johnw at mac.com> wrote:
>
> . . .
> The second idea of grading trails, similar to track type I am less sure of.
>
> Trail conditions vary so wildly, I think it is difficult to define - and people's perceptions of what is "needed" for a hike vary wildly. Some people are in full goretex and trekking poles; others on the same route are in shorts and tennis shoes.
> . . .

There is at least one proposal for path/trail difficulty in the wiki [1] and at least one that appears accepted and in use [2]. Of course neither of those is an exact match for the Yosemite Decimal System[3] based on a 1930s Sierra Club rating system more familiar, at least to me, in the US. Though the YDS is mentioned under climbing [4] and [5].

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal_process/cai_scale
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:sac_scale
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yosemite_Decimal_System
[4] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Climbing