[Tagging] Subject: Feature Proposal - RFC - highway=social_path

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Tue Jun 14 23:46:14 UTC 2016

> On Jun 14, 2016, at 3:26 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The former are not very important to show because there is already the road that will be rendered.

I know in most places, especially residential/unclassified/ tertiary roads that make up a majority of OSM routes that wether a sidewalk is present is less important than the routes through a school campus or theme park, but in very busy places where even entering the road as a pedestrians Is illegal and numerous tunnels, bridges, crosswalks  exist "grade separated" from the road network, like the major roads of the 200 sq miles of Tokyo - separately tagging and rendering the completely fence separated sidewalks that line the main streets is just as important as the road network - perhaps more so - as more people walk and ride a bike than use cars there.

This means cases where we can ignore the differences between a footway or trail (or path or cycleway) is not the cases we should use to help define the tags.

Different grades of different "foot paths" require different tagging - a long sidewalk through a rose garden and the trail images I shared earlier have more differences than a surface=tag.

Javbw.