[Tagging] Subject: Feature Proposal - RFC - highway=social_path

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Jun 15 08:47:33 UTC 2016

John Willis wrote:
> How is a data provider supposed to make assumptions of what a particular
> path is when there is no place to start from?

I presume you mean "data consumer", and as the data consumer who probably
parses path tags in more detail than any other (for cycle.travel), I do
fine, thanks. highway=footway|cycleway|track, surface=*, tracktype=*,
width=*, and access tags are plenty sufficient. There are two significant
issues I encounter with path tagging and neither of them are a lack of
highway values:

   - missing surface tags
   - highway=path, which should die in a fire

I do wish people who aren't data consumers would stop second-guessing those
who are, because they invariably miss the point by a country 1.609km.

Richard