[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - learner driver

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Jun 24 16:08:29 UTC 2016

Michael Tsang <miklcct_lists at outlook.com> writes:

>> And, it would be good to first thing about how access rights for learner
>> drivers differs from regular drivers.   I can't think of any difference
>> around me (although learners are required to have an adult real driver
>> with them, and not allowed to drive late at night, etc.).
>> I wonder, if it's the case that learners can drive on most roads, if it
>> would be better to tag the roads that they are banned from (but regular
>> drivers can use). vs the roads they can use.
>
> Learners can drive on most roads, therefore, the default is yes, with the
> exception of motorways where the default is no.

I see from later that this is about the UK.  I am 99% sure that we do
not have this rule in any of the US states.

There's a general problem with trying to encode rules like this; OSM as
a group doesn't really want to declare a default and make all
Interstates (motorways) in the US have special learner tags.  And we
don't really want to publish a machine-readable set of default rules
that all routers can be expected to use.   I think that having
programmatic defaults would help.