[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - learner driver

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Jun 28 09:12:37 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Michael Tsang <miklcct_lists at outlook.com>
wrote:

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/learner_driver
>
> The proposed feature *learner driver* is to tag the legal access of a
> highway by a vehicle driven by a learner driver. It is similar to Key:access#Transport
> mode restrictions
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access#Transport_mode_restrictions>
> for tagging the legal access by transport mode.

I can see this as potentially useful, except for one part:

For values, see access <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access>=*.
> The default is learner_driver
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:learner_driver>=yes
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:learner_driver%3Dyes&action=edit&redlink=1>,
> with the exception of highway
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>=motorway
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dmotorway> and highway
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>=motorway_link
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dmotorway_link>, where
> the default is learner_driver
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:learner_driver>=no
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:learner_driver%3Dno&action=edit&redlink=1>
> .

In general, the access restrictions globally for motorways and
motorway_links is so varied as to have no rational default other than
access=yes unless otherwise explicitly tagged.  However, I would go more
modal-specific, though.  There are some situations in some places (I don't
know the exact specifics or I'd have already tagged it or at least floated
a note for someone else to take a look at if it's not likely I'm going to
get to it soon) where learners are OK, except people who are learning to
drive a truck.  So, <mode>:learner_driver=* might be better.