[Tagging] Draft of proposal tag 'sells' for shops..

moltonel moltonel at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 10:48:09 UTC 2016

On 6 March 2016 08:47:36 GMT+00:00, Ralph Aytoun <ralph.aytoun at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>My personal opinion is that this is getting totally out of hand.
>Shops pay a lot of money to advertise their wares and you are stepping
>in
>and trying to do commercial marketing for free.
>Not only that but who is going to maintain this information? Shops
>rotate
>their stocks on a seasonal basis. They also stock multiple brands!
>
>So we will end up with tagging ...
>sells:bread:white:medium:Hovis=
>sells:bread:white:thick:Hovis=
>sells:bread:50-50:medium:Hovis=
>sells:bread:white:medium:Own_Brand=
>sells:bread:white:thick:Own_Brand=
>etc. etc. etc.
>
>With this kind of trend we are definitely moving away from the realms
>of
>sustainable Mapping and creating some kind of stock take for each shop!
>And
>some of us know that with regard to stock taking even the shops
>themselves
>are hard pressed to maintain an up-to-date record. So where does that
>leave
>us two weeks, two months or two years down the line?

I agree that this can get out of hand quickly and become unmaintainable. The detail level of some sells:* examples worry me.

But I can see its use for tagging oddities. You'd have the traditional tags implying what the place sells, and use the sells tag for exceptions, for example:
amenity=pub
sells:alcohol:wine=no
sells:books=yes

--