[Tagging] Draft of proposal tag 'sells' for shops..

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 08:45:32 UTC 2016

On 7/03/2016 6:56 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 03/07/2016 07:54 AM, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
>>> Just imagine what would happen if
>>> someone took it upon them to actually list all the products sold at a
>>> supermarket. And update that once a week.
>> I see no problem with that except that anybody would quickly give up and
>> overall waste time.
> It is possible that some supermarkets would make their list of products
> available electronically and thus provide an incentive for a clever
> hacker to simply convert that to OSM. Once we say we accept a list of
> products for a supermarket, few would make the distinction of "surveyed
> list = ok, imported list = not ok"...
>
> Such an automatic import would practically be the only way to keep a
> list of products current.
>
>> But I see no significant negative effects extending to other people
>> (shop element would be hard to edit for some time until somebody would
>> remove outdated data would be the largest problem what is not really
>> significant).
> A typical grocery store would carry about 30.000 different products.
> Even assuming it would be possible to encode each in a 15-character
> string, the "sells" tag would half a megabyte long - for each store. And
> update once a week. If this were done for many stores, the impact on the
> size of the planet file, the daily diffs, or even the small download you
> make to edit an area, would be noticeable.

That is a good point.

How to do both? Have the detail without too much change/bandwidth?

Guide the use of the 'sells' tag that it should be used for items that are available and predicted to be available for the next year?

That may reduce frequent updates?

There could be default values that could cover the basics ... like pub sells beer?