[Tagging] Draft of proposal tag 'sells' for shops..

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 7 11:46:39 UTC 2016

On 2016-03-07 12:11, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

>> For example at present  a mapper adding tags to a sewing shop that sells sewing machines can have
>>
>> paff=yes    ... that makes no sense unless you know Paff make sewing machines.
>>
>> gutenberg=yes ... makes no sense unless you know they make thread... but it is also a project for copyright free books ...
>>
>> husqvarna=yes ... makes both motorcycles and sewing machines ... does this mean both are sold here?
>
> this kind of tag is quite bad I think, because it doesn't convey a meaning in a semantic sense. They don't say what "pfaff=yes" means, and there can easily be cases of ambiguity because they are too short / universal in meaning. Better use brand=Pfaff so you know at least that "Pfaff" is a brand (even if you don't know them) and not a means of transport, an access restriction or a shop type, or whatever.
>
> You have asked about the property "sells=motorcycle;yamaha" on a shop=motorcycle. My stance is that this would better be tagged as "brand=Yamaha". "sells=motorcycle;yamaha" doesn't make much sense to me (they sell motorcycles and yamahas?). I would only use this in case it is an authorized dealer (or in other words: you can see from the outside that this is a Yamaha shop, it has a sign written "Yamaha" on it, people can use this information to recognize the shop, etc.).

Putting brand=X on a shop would indicate the branding of the shop, not
necessarily the brands which are sold within. These days (certainly in
the 4-wheeled world) we are seeing less single-branded shops/showrooms
and more independent multi-brand outlets. The tagging of makes of bike
on a shop therefore needs to be multi-value-capable. How about
products:motorcycle:yamaha=sales;maintenance;spares ?