[Tagging] Draft of proposal tag 'sells' for shops..

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 00:10:59 UTC 2016

On 8/03/2016 10:25 AM, Michael Reichert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 07.03.2016 um 08:56 schrieb Frederik Ramm:
>> It is possible that some supermarkets would make their list of products
>> available electronically and thus provide an incentive for a clever
>> hacker to simply convert that to OSM. Once we say we accept a list of
>> products for a supermarket, few would make the distinction of "surveyed
>> list = ok, imported list = not ok"...
>>
>> Such an automatic import would practically be the only way to keep a
>> list of products current.
>>
>> […]
>>
>> Thankfully, this is hypothetical because we won't do it. OSM is a geo
>> database and not a sales directory.
> I agree with Frederik.
>
> If shop chains like Lidl wanted to provide their list of products in an
> automatically readable file format, they would provide an API url per
> shop. This API url might be the only part of a product list I would
> accept at OSM.
>
> Example:
>
> shop = supermarket
> name = Lidl
> opening_hours = Mo-Sa 08:00-21:00; PH off
> addr:city = Karlsruhe
> addr:street = Europaplatz
> product_list_url = http://www.lidl.com/api/products/karlsruhe/europaplatz
>
> App developers can use this url to create the link between OSM and Lidl API.
>
> If the comapaies don't want to publish it, such data should be collected
> as part of an additional crowdsourcing project. Linking between OSM
> object and this OpenProductsDB could be done using postal addresses,
> coordinates or shop numbers (sometimes printed on bills).
>
> Best regards
>
> Michael

That could work for large chain stores.

Would you have an independent general store in a remote area do this?

What 'solution' do you have for mappers who want to add detail to such a shop?

They are entering it now.

e.g. of a remote independent store  https://www.exploroz.com/Places/3365/NT/Docker_River_Kaltukatjara.aspx

Nearest other store is some 200 km away.

What would you think this general store might stock?
flour ... in 10kg packs?
bread .. frozen
bicycle tubes .. 26"?
fruit ... 'fresh', tinned?
vegetables
kangaroo tails .. frozen
etc ...

Rejection of a proposal because 'some' don't want it in the data base will not, can not prevent the entry of the information in the data base.

It may not be entered using the proposed tags, or any sensible , coordinated tags. but it will go in 'like' it or not.

I think it would be better to have some suggestion as to how to enter it rather than nothing.