[Tagging] Draft of proposal tag 'sells' for shops..

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 04:37:48 UTC 2016

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 9:37 PM, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> So maybe we should not use brand=* on the "shop" itself, but something like
> product:car:brands=BMW;Mini to refer to the products, NOT to the external
> appearance of the shop. After all, we are not listing the individual
> products (there would be thousands), but

Warin's original proposal was

sells:car:BMW=yes
sells:car:Mini=yes

This got objection because it introduced values in the key.

Your proposal "product:car:brands" solves that problem, but uses
semi-colons, something that got objection recently in another thread
because AFAIK of parsing problems (no escape character) and
limitations on the field length.

Now someone can propose something like

product:car:brand_1 can get objections for that as well.

IMHO we need a way to specify brands for a limited number of products,
since some shops are characterised by the brands they sells. This is
not the case for supermarkets, bakeries, ... (I think).
The Apple Store, and car (or vehicles in general) dealers are  well
known examples, but there might be other type of shops. I think
fashion stores can be associated with a limited number of brands as
well.

But we cannot solve this unless we have a framework that allows us to
specify multi-valued keys.

Perhaps we should continue discussion you MV-proposal first before we
discuss this particular case ? Or we could use this one as an example
for the more general discussion ?