[Tagging] shop=marine RFC

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 12:19:19 UTC 2016

On 14/03/2016 11:48, Richard wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 07:20:46AM +0000, Malcolm Herring wrote:
>> The common name for such shops is "chandler". This is more specific to the
>> type of shop you want to tag. "marine" is too broad a term
> this meaning is not even in wiktionary. How many of those shops
> would even know they are called chandler?

It is - read https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/chandler again.

I wouldn't trust everything you read there though (a chandler is not
primarily "A person who makes or sells candles").  The main English
English use of "chandler" is in the sense of "ship's chandler" - someone
who sells all sorts of stuff that might be useful to someone on a boat.

The wider sense ("someone who sells all sorts of stuff") is used, but
more rarely.  There's an example in
http://halfmanhalfbiscuit.uk/90-bisodol-crimond/descent-of-the-stiperstones/
(which exists and is http://www.bunners.co.uk/ ), for example. That's in
OSM as http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/489847395 (and "shop=hardware"
there is correct, I think).

Although it's in the etymology, I've never heard of a modern
candle-maker being described as a chandler.

Cheers,

Andy