[Tagging] building=yes for multiple building

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 15:10:49 UTC 2016

Hi Joost,

The main wiki entry on building tagging says this about building tagging:

"In addition outlines can either be simplified shapes or very detailed
outlines which conform accurately to the shape of the building. It is
not uncommon for buildings to initially be described as simple group
outlines later be improved with more detailed outlines and to be split
into individual properties."

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Buildings

I think that fits in well with the idea that mapping and tagging can be
refined as part of the overall mapping process.

Although, I always encourage people to outline the individual buildings
if you can tell they are individual building units, even with a shared wall.

The downside of not strictly encouraging that style of mapping is large
blocks of buildings being outlined with one building=yes tag which is
much less useful for most use cases of building footprints.

So for me only in the most extreme circumstances will I use a single
building outline for what I suspect might be multiple individual
buildings, but I do it once in a while if there is just no way to
reliably distinguish what might be individual buildings.

Cheers
blake