[Tagging] building=yes for multiple building

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Thu Mar 17 00:04:50 UTC 2016

I used to work in the telecom field. We often did lateral additions to the
building. Many times different entrances would have different addresses.
Because the buildings were different heights it is difficult to determine
where one building ended and another started. For example the CenturyLink
building (which is a block long) at
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/44.97785/-93.26680 is multiple
buildings, yet shown as one.

Where possible buildings should be shown as individual buildings, but
sometimes we just don't have the information available.

Off topic, but the antennas on top of the CenturyLink building were mostly
for looks. Only a few were actually used. I wonder if they even use any of
them any more. I'll have to see if I can find anyone that still works there.

Clifford

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 11:27 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <
dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
> > Am 16.03.2016 um 17:12 schrieb Blake Girardot <bgirardot at gmail.com>:
> >
> > Otherwise we are going to get blocks of easily mapped buildings outlined
> as building just because that is a lot easier and then leave the detailed
> mapping to someone else.
>

> I sometimes encountered whole blocks mapped as a single building. Often I
> moved these to landuse and removed the building tag.
>

> cheers,
> Martin

@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us