[Tagging] building=yes for multiple building

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 09:06:39 UTC 2016

> Is a bus shelter or a bridge a "building"? If a house is substantially
> extended to create a new independent living area, at what point does that
> become a new Building?

a bridge is definitely not a building, a bus shelter might be considered a
building, depending on your definition (by the one you cited it wouldn't
because it is not lockable, but beeing lockable is a overly strict
requirement that isn't commonly used). I would see it like this: the tag
building in osm covers both, actual buildings but also some technical
structures (looking somehow like a building, but not suited for humans to
enter and/or stay).

Regarding the extension I would say that these are still the same building
in many cases (in others it isn't, e.g. if it's completely detached, if
it's structurally independent and has its own entrance, etc.). Might be
worth considering the "building:part" key as well for many of these.

Cheers,
Martin