[Tagging] importance=* tag (for transportation etc)

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 16:29:19 UTC 2016

pon, 21. ožu 2016. u 23:28 Daniel Koć <daniel at koć.pl> napisao je:

> Almost 5 months of discussing and hand tweaking the algorithm tells me
> just having the hard (numerical) data might be not as easy as you depict
> it. Raw population data is far from having world-range city ranking we
> needed.

I wasn't talking about raw data like population. I was talking about the
number of articles about cities. That means number of articles in different
languages. I think it's a great way to see what the crowd from around the
world thinks is important.

For example, Bethlehem, the birth place of Jesus, has a population of 25
000 and 110 articles. A nearby city, Beit Shemesh, has a population of 100
000 and 32 articles. I think that's a great way to decide which city to
display on lower zooms. Even better, you could add the length of text in
all articles. An important city will almost always have more text than a
less important one. And in the end, add population into the mix for good
measure.

The same thing about peaks.

Transportation is probably not as present in Wikipedia, but I'm sure all
the important airports have their articles.

Janko