[Tagging] importance=* tag (for transportation etc)

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Tue Mar 22 19:53:10 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2016-03-22 at 20:27 +0100, Alexander Matheisen wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 22.03.2016, 17:41 +0000 schrieb Philip Barnes:
> >

> > Every railway station seems to have a wikipedia page, even if is
> > says
> > no more than can be deduced by looking at it on OSM.
> No, only some important stations have own wikipedia pages. For
> example
> see the Tauern railway in Austria, an important north-south route
> through the Alps. It is used by many freight trains and EuroCity long
> distance trains.
>
> But when you have a look at either the German article (
> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tauernbahn) or the English article (
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tauern_Railway), you will see that no
> station on this line has an own article, although some stations are
> served by EuroCity trains.

I suppose it depends on the country, and whilst I haven't checked every
station in the UK, it does appear each station has its own page and is
linked to the next by the panel at the bottom.

For example my local station, which consists of 2 platforms each with a
"bus shelter" and a ticket machine. It is hardly an important station,
unless it is your local station and certainly not notable as I though
wikipedia articles were supposed to be. Actually the ticket machine
isn't mentioned in wikipedia but it is mapped on OSM.

Phil (trigpoint)