[Tagging] setting proposals to abandoned

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Sat Mar 26 14:18:54 UTC 2016

Martin Koppenhoefer wrote on 2016/03/26 12:49:
>> Am 26.03.2016 um 11:49 schrieb Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at gmail.com>:
>>
>> "what would be a reasonable threshold" - no edits in this or previous
>> year is my typical method to recognise something on internet as dead.
>
> but wouldn't it be necessary to look at actual map edits rather than on a wiki page
 > (i.e. has the tag been applied to objects in the last year)? If the definition is
 > settled there is maybe no need to make changes to the wiki, you can just use the tag.

Yes but one thing is the proposal, the other is the actual usage of tags.

While the actual map usage should be documented on the tag page,
still the proposal can be considered abandoned.

The typical thing about Abandoning is that the proposer has "ceased to
support or look after" [Oxford], the active role of the proposer would be Cancelling.

There is a wiki page about the proposal process, which recommends abandoning
after 3 month, which I think is too tight.

In the specific case, the proposal was to fully replace 'kindergarten' with 'childcare',
which was proposed 28 months ago, and has also not happened in practical tagging.

This is quite in contrast to successful changing schemes, such as nursing_home
to social_facility + sub-tagging.

The unfortunate issue with 'childcare' was the insufficient differentiation from
other tags in the first proposal, and the unnecessary attempt to replace an established
tag in the second. The tag page is extremely vague, so at the end of the day
nobody knows what an object such tagged is in reality.

tom