[Tagging] service = parking_access for main ways on a parking lot

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Sun Mar 27 03:06:11 UTC 2016

> On Mar 26, 2016, at 4:56 PM, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:
>

> Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> writes:
>
>> The qualifier service=parking_aisle was originally introduced [1] to
>> structure car parks with a few main access ways and lots of small aisles,
>> to avoid clutter in lower zoom levels.
>>
>> It is highly successful with over 2 Mio uses.
>>
>> The description says that, however "The main way(s) on the parking lot,
>> for entering and connecting multiple parking_aisle, should be mapped with
>> highway=service, only."
>
> I had no idea that it said that.
>
> What I do is
>
>  * highway=service service=parking_aisle
>    ways that are basically only to get to parking spaces
>
>  * highway=service service=driveway
>    ways connecting to the real roads and sort of going near where you
>    are trying to go when you want to park in the parking lot (carpark),
>    just enough to be connected, and trying to pick  the places that are
>    more important/through roads
>
> The latter is more or less what your service=parking_access is trying to
> do.   But if for example you want to pick someone up at the front door
> of a supermarket, and not park, you'd use them.   So parking_access
> really isn't quite right for most of these ways.

I too have been using service=driveway for the non-parking highway=service roads found in parking areas. It wasn’t until this discussion came up that I realized the wiki said there should be no service=* tag for those.

It seems to me that any highway=service ought to have a service=* tag. Whether the specific case being discussed needs a new service=parking_access tag or if service=driveway is okay would be the discussion I’m interested in. To Tom’s point, I think a roads for many commercial areas would have a big grey area in deciding between driveway and parking_access as often the route to the main entrance and/or loading docks is indistinguishable from the other roads in the area that simply service parking.