[Tagging] tagging sport=shotput or sport=shot_put?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 10:09:20 UTC 2016

On 26/03/2016 12:58 PM, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
> Warin wrote on 2016/03/25 23:07:
>>>
>>> I prefer to tag all those as sport=athletics, as well as the tracks
>>> for long-jump and running.
>>> You can still sub-tag if needed, but maybe the pitch is used for the
>>> throwing disciplines
>>> also?
>>
>> Too late to tag in a non duck way. The sports tags are all ducks.
>>
>> Athletics covers things like running .. and that is not tagged under
>> athletics. Athletics has a very poor use by mappers - they re using
>> duck tagging.
>
> I see sport=athletics used quite well, the 9th most frequent value in
> sport with ca 19000 tags.
> running is on the second page with only 5400.

Correct. But the wiki page for Athletics has no way of
noting/adding/separating the various sports.  And I think it too will
fail due to anyway a mapper can see to map the individual sports.  In
fact the wiki page on athletics in sparse on information as to what it
applies to, I assume it excludes running? The past sport=football failed
for much the same reason I would think.... and now each type of football
has its own entry.

>> The athletics sports that share pitches are hammer throwing and
>> discus throwing and we already have a method of combining them ...
>> sports=hammer_throwing;discus_throwing.
>
> sport=hammer_throwing = 0
> sport=discus_throwing = 0

Tag info has small numbers .. showing what mappers want to map .. but no
wiki page so there is no obvious way of tagging these sports ... so
there are some variations;

51 sport=shot_put
7 sport=shot put
5 sport=shot-put
2 sport=shot
1 sport=Shot put
1 sport=Shot_Put

and a little of the others ..
8 sport=javelin
6 sport=hammer_throw
10 sport=discus
6 sport=discus_throw

and so on (I'm not typing them all out to document the variations that
people are using).

If athletics is to be used it should be properly documented .. shall I
put the tagging of running under the key athletics to a vote? Only 5,400
instances in the data base against it ?

I view it as the same instance as shop=jewellery ... lost because of
past use.