[Tagging] Tagging "commons" style buildings at large dorms

johnw johnw at mac.com
Wed Mar 30 10:49:58 UTC 2016

My son moved from a very small dorm facility to a very large dormitory for Tokyo University, and of course I was trying to update the facility and ran into a couple questions on tagging.

there are 7 buildings: 6 dorm buildings and the central office/hall

The dorm buildings (the housing part) is straightforward:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:building%3Ddormitory <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:building=dormitory>

but it offers no guidance on the “commons” building that is also present. It’s name, literally translates to “shared building"

The commons building, like most large dorms (i assume) has the management office, a large meeting room (in this case, a 150 person auditorium), vending machines, communal toiletss, and some kind of pre-pay ticket vending machines- for what, I don’t know. maybe the coin laundry machines. it is part office for the complex and part “community centre” for the dorm residents - but tagging it as either seems wrong.

I left it as building yes (it is a rough outline, I will realign all the buildings later)

any suggestions on tagging the different amenities as points, or is there some appropriate building tag I don’t know of?

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/35.68050/139.56521 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/35.68050/139.56521>

I have no idea on if or what to tag this building as, beyond building=yes

Javbw